Sunday

The House that Built Me



Not too long ago, I drove by one of my old homes where I grew up only to find it was totally torn down and rebuilt. The only familiar thing was the yard and the foundation. It was shocking and heartbreaking. This particular home is one we lived in when I was 6 till about the time I was 10 and then we moved to the home my parents still live in, which by far is what I consider home. They better never move, I love going HOME!!!

I LOVE this song by Miranda Lambert, it brings this girl to tears when I listen to it, not only because of my roots, but even more the ones that my daughters are building growing up in our home and neighborhood. Now that the girls are getting closer to leaving the nest, I think about all the memories they will cherish of their home and family.

posing in their rooms for self portraits...



Christmas at home...



Christmas at grandma & grandpa's...



I am taking the girls to Ames, IA and Iowa State, my Alma Mater next week for a college visit and I know that will be such a sweet walk down memory lane. I have so many good memories there! Can't wait to go back and see the campus and my many homes there. Dorm (which I know has been taken down :( ), Sorority and our off campus apartment. I hope they get a glimpse into a bit of my life that was so special to me. Then I hope they choose to go there!!!!! A mom can dream, right?!

I hope you take a minute to listen to Miranda's song and relive all those good or bad memories, that built you into the fabulous person that you are today.

because, when things get wicked, there's no place like home~

3 comments:

Susanne said...

I went back to our old house after we moved from MN, well technically, I only went to the road, you can't see the house form the road in summer. I was still too broken hearted to see the house.
Our book club will be reading "The Girls from Ames" by Jeffery Zaslow, about 11 women from Iowa who share their 40 plus years of friendship. Have you read it?
Susanne.

misty said...

what a touching post... and i loved the video. (thanks for sharing it) it took me back to the house i grew up in until i was ten... oh how i wish i could walk around inside... i imagine it would seem much smaller now.

Merana Leigh said...

I always LOVE hearing that song (& the video)! And I can relate too. Used to be able to stay at my mom's old house with everything in it (like a time capsule of the 70's!) when we went home to visit. My step-dad remarried & just left the house for years. But he sold it (fortunately to a friend of mine). Not sure if I was to see what he's done with it, or keep my memories intact. I just bought my little house (check out my recent post) we were renting. LOVE it!!! Looking forward to making plenty of memories for my boys. I was thinking just last nite "wow, this is our place & someday my grandkids will visit me here". Great post!